CBD is the abbreviation for cannabidiol. It is a chemical found in marijuana however it does not contain tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which is the psychoactive ingredient found in marijuana that produces a high.
A report in 2018 by the World Health Organisation suggested that CBD may help the symptoms which arise from conditions such as Cancer, Parkinson’s disease, Anxiety, Depression, Multiple Sclerosis ( MS), Insomnia, and Alzheimer’s disease.
CBD works with the body’s natural internal system. it encourages the body’s natural processes to maintain the necessary balance for general well being aka homeostasis. Homeostasis ensures our body is kept in optimal condition.
“To keep the body in good health is a duty … Otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear” – Buddha
You’ve probably frequently heard about products containing CBD also known as cannabidiol.
Although CBD will not get you high there are some who believe that it does change your consciousness. You may feel calmer and experience less pain and be more comfortable. CBD causes a relaxation of the blood vessels and brain, relieving muscle spasms and reducing anxiety. It has a calming effect on the body and mind and promotes a feeling of general well being without causing addiction or dependency.
“There is a very simple explanation to why people are turning to CBD: It combines efficiency, naturality and wellbeing. If Covid taught us one thing it’s that people are looking to get away from their rising daily stress. What better way than cannabinoids and their synergistic effects?” – Alexandra Dunhill
The main benefits of CBD are thought to be:
- Relief from Anxiety and Depression – Various studies have concluded that CBD may help to reduce depression and anxiety. It has been found to be effective in reducing the activity of some of the enzymes that produce feelings of stress and anxiety. CBD has also been found to improve mood and concentration.
- Reduce Pain and Inflammation – CBD works by blocking the pain receptors which result in less pain and discomfort. It also works well as an anti inflammatory. The benefits of CBD also extend to the circulatory system and the improvement of muscle tone and range of motion in people suffering from arthritic conditions.
- Reduce Cancer Related Symptoms and Side Effects – CBD may help to lessen signs of cancer and reduce certain types of tumor cells from reproducing. The National Cancer Institute ( NCI) doesn’t endorse CBD or any cannabis related medication as cancer treatment but they have acknowledged CBD’s ability to moderate inflammation and the reproduction of cancer cells.
- Improve Cognitive Function – CBD has been found to protect neurons from degeneration which helps the brain to stay younger. It has been shown to inhibit the development of Alzheimer’s symptoms.
- Other Potential Benefits Include – Improving heart health, lowering blood pressure and improving artery function, anti psychotic effects, substance abuse treatment, sleep disorder treatment.
CBD appears to be a very safe product. The safest way to take CBD is said to be orally as a tablet, chewable, or tincture ( a concentrated liquid administered with a dropper) CBD products sometimes called “spice” or “bath salts” are not advisable at all and tend to be synthetic CBD products which have induced psychotic reactions in some people. CBD can have adverse effects such as dry mouth, diarrhea and fatigue in some people. It may also interact adversely with certain medications causing harmful side effects. Those on other medications should speak to their health care professional before taking CBD products.